Friday, June 3, 2011

Kevorkian Dead



I remember this guy was stirring things up in late 80's or 90's with his suicide machine. I often wondered how that thing worked.

Back then I took an authoritarian approach to the issue. I was pleased he was locked up. I equated him with Satan. It wasn't hard cause he had a creepy vibe. I remember one of the arguments against him was the slippery slope approach. They said physician assisted suicide would lead to involuntary euthanasia. There were stories of that "scary" country, the Netherlands already doing that. I have yet to verify those stories. Here's a site that clears it up. I think.

As you grow older, and expose yourself to other concepts and philosophies, opinions change. If we really believe in the principle of self-ownership, than we shouldn't have a beef with the guy. I really struggle seeing anything controversial about this. As with many other issues, I have a tough time seeing how this affects others who strongly oppose it. As with many other issues, simply put, it comes down to others who use the violent arm of the state, who have absolutely no idea who you are and what you've been through, putting restrictions on a decision that has no impact on anyone else but yourself.

So, while I still think Kevorkian was a really creepy morbid dude and really wouldn't want him to set foot in my house. I don't think he or his philosophies/inventions should scare anyone. Please correct me, but I don't he went around selling death. But even if he did, it should be his right. His ideas never would've stopped anyone of us from living lives fully. Nothing stops us from us from convincing others that life is a beautiful positive thing. Let's do what we want to do, and let others do the same for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment