Sunday, June 19, 2011

Book Review: The Revolution: Ron Paul

Back in spring 2008 I saw Paul speak at the University of Pittsburgh. I was in town, so I decided to go. My old man went too, but we left at different times and ended up standing apart from each other. The Primaries were about over and everything, unfortunately had been decided. Towards the end of the talk, RP mentioned he was writing a book that would be out. I was a little disappointed. I was hoping he'd run third party. Instead we got a book.

I finally got around to purchasing this book about three years later, The Revolution: A Manifesto. I picked it up a few weeks ago in a major book and found myself really liking the introduction and the manner in which it was written. Quite easy to read and understand, but also put out there in a way that seems genuine and authentic.

It's broken up into about eight sections and includes a lovely reading list mainly focused on economics. Some of the sections include, Foreign Policy, Civil Liberties, Economics and Money (of course).

I got what pretty much what I expected as far his positions on these things. There were some things though, that I was pleasantly surprised by. First, Paul gets labeled as being very theoretical and even cold during the debates but his writing style, to me, came across as warm friendly teacher, very clear in his explanations. I also enjoyed some of the subtle occasional sarcasm in it.

If you have any preconceived biases against the free-market as being cold-hearted this could be a good book to read. I was left thinking, especially during the section on money and inflation, that RP has more interest in the well being of the poor and middle than those who are on the end of the spectrum. He comes across condemning Wall St. (in light of the bailout) as being anti-free market, and makes a clear argument for the housing bubble being the result of government and FED tinkering.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone of any political persuasion. It's a quick read. Took me about four days and I'm a pretty slow reader. To those who are politically apathetic, this might also be recommended and to those who have an interest in economics or the FED.

I will now start on "End the FED," by Ron Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment