Monday, June 6, 2011

Health Care

I had a discussion with an insurance guy a few weeks ago. Based on my age and health condition I'm pretty screwed. If I ever left my job, I found out the most economic thing I could do would be to start a business, hire an employee, and get a plan for the business. This doesn't leave me a lot of hope.

One might say "life's hard," and it is, but what are the other options, why are health care costs so high?

Others might throw their hopes and dreams on the state. History shows that only makes things more expensive and quality will decline (i,e public education).

I guess it would be an interesting study to find out how much things cost, materials and labour, etc. When I was in the hospital for a week, I had screws put in my hip (I believe a relatively simple surgery), some x-rays, some drugs, and some really bad food, it came to around 30K. The surgery took less than 2 hours. Are titanium screws really that expensive?

If there are any experts around here that read this, please add your knowledge. I'm trying to learn.

Related source:
http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa650.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment