Monday, March 7, 2011

Circumcision.

A friend of mine last week posted a violent and honest depiction of circumcision. This was followed by comments that you would expect. If we are honest about it, yes, technically it is mutilation. Plain and simple. Right?

If we claim to be honest about trying to find out the truth in such things than those in the pro-circumcision camp must not run away or whine about such videos. Videos, graphics, of such things are quite moving and mind changing. It would be beneficial to bombard television sets with what Iraqi civilians looked like after we invaded, or even what an abortion procedure looks like. I am not against any it, please let it out there, especially if it's in the case of highly debated subject where abstract ideas get in the way of the reality of the situation. Show videos of my broken hip (if they did exist) to get to the truth of what drunken basketball and poor bone density do when combined. We shouldn't work to supress such evidence. Leave the suppression to government and corporate forces.

So, me, being the divisive bastard that I am took the opposing view. The pro-circumcision  stance. The one that is quickly becoming out of style in favor of more smegma and sensitivity. Truthfully, it's not a pro-circumcision view, it's a pro-choice view. The choice of the parent. I did this partially to see what kind of responses I'd get, and also because I feel absolutely no victimization about the process I underwent about 34 years ago. I don't think I even knew I was circumcized until I was in high school.
It is a non-issue.

((my Facebook statement got 88 posts on the tread))

I guess what intrigued me the most was that a large amount of the hysteria came from females who have absolutely no idea what it is like to have a penis or to be circumcized. They seemed ever so passionate about it. I took offense because I felt, rightly or wrongly, that they were implying (non of this was stated) that my parents were cruel and ignorant mutilaters. They were implying that they knew better. (that attitude always sets me off)

It also came across as a total disregard and disrespect for certain cultural and familial traditions. They felt quite okay to shit on all of it. And this bigotry is apparently acceptable because it's backed by a faux enlightment of how the penis works, cut or uncut.

My personal belief is that those complaining just had a preference for the intact approach (in them), which is completely fine and okay. Just don't dump your shit on my posts, and don't disguise it as if you care for the well being of the child. That argument is a complete false flag and if you chat with any sane gentleman that's been cut they will tell you they don't remember any of it and there is absolutely no pain left behind.

<<<<Another assault on this practice was that it was religious and cultural. I don't see that as a bad thing. I don't view different cultures or belief systems as a negative thing unless these belief systems wish to harm their non-believers through violent force. We'd live in a boring world if these things evaporated. I was accused as being supersticious (which may be quite true) but this is not the reason I'm in favor of this age old act.>>>>

Scientifically, there is a debate on this whole issue. One thing that is true is more maintenance is required for those intact. I'm quite happy that I don't have to worry about this. I'll be ready for battle at a moments notice. Some are tying this to the contraction of AIDS. Again, this is debatable. All that I really wanted to point out was there are valid positions on each side of this personal issue, and it's clearly best to get both sides of the situation before taking a hysterical one-sided opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment