Monday, August 8, 2011

Dust in the Wind / Day of Recollection

Dust in the Wind came on in the car today after my two slices of sicilian pizza for lunch. I hate that song but it brought up memories of our high school recollection day.

One day out of the school year we would partake in what they called "Recollection Day." This was an all guys catholic school and this was a day to reflect, individually and as a group, on who we were becoming as men, spiritually and academically. Usually the priest was involved along with two upper classmen who supposedly had their shit together by getting good grades and being well kempt and polite to everyone during school hours.

One year we had it at my old grade school, which was also catholic and run by the nuns. Looking back, I'm not sure anyone took these things seriously. I was polite and quiet, but painfully annoyed at what was to happen during this six hours of mental regrouping. Aside from the silliness of the incense prayers (I sat quietly), the singing, and prayer service, what really got me was that these upper class men were there to tell us about life's changes and be our pseudo gurus for the day leading unfruitful group activities. It was made up of stupid questions and ice-breakers, goal setting and everything hinged on being a good catholic citizen. The fact that is was being lead by spoiled rich kids made it all the more laughable.

So why did "Dust in the Wind" remind me of this?

The two guys (upper class men - they liked ranks and hierarchy there) running the event thought that the song, Dust in the Wind (a reminder of our mortality), and Styx's You're Fooling Yourself [(I think that's the name) an upbeat song to be sung to an angry young man to get it together], were both relevant to that day's event.

((God help me if I'm ever moved by anything Styx or Kansas has ever done and shame on them for choosing those tunes.))

During the lunch break, the kids played basketball in the old gym, I sat next to the priest and watched the kids play basketball and hated life for the next three hours, and the remainder of high school. The priest thought I was a weirdo and one of the guidance counselors thought I needed counseling. I thought the guidance counselor needed counseling.

These events are designed to build men with superb character who will be successful and make families (or more Catholic supporters). Deep inside my soul I may have understood it and maybe this was why I was so opposed to it.

((The word family nauseates as it implies commitment))

As weird as that priest was, he probably spotted that in me as I chose to drop out of the basketball game.

(can somebody write a better conclusion to this blog?)






No comments:

Post a Comment