Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Permanant: A guys perspective.

I grew up watching the Brady Bunch and listening to Wham (Make it Big). Early on, my sister would dress me up as a little woman. My sister was quite surprised I pulled it off so well at five. I connected with the Brady Bunch, and I wanted my dad to get a perm like Mr. Brady. I also thought George Michael's hair on the Wham! Make it Big cassette was really nice (this was 2nd grade). I told my mom I wanted hair like that. She laughed and suggested I get a perm. I was curious.

Then twenty to twenty-five years later the ironic mustache came into play. I decided I'd grow one as a joke but soon stumbled on the truth that I actually looked pretty damn good, almost like a young Lech Walesa (look em up if you're ignorant). It was no longer a joke. And, I still will bring it back when the weather cools and I want to switch the vibe.

But, even after a few times around with the mustache, that approach seemed to get old. I needed to push the limits of my own personal image. Something new had to be done. Something outrageous, somewhat effeminate, and a little flamboyant. It took me a while to make a decision, but I finally did. With the help and support of great friends, whose laughter inspired me, I decided on a Permanent (or perm). My hair was long, and, instead of getting a badly needed hair cut, I waited it out till my vacation to have this process done. The plan was to get it done and cut it right before I'd go back to work.

I went to a local salon. They washed and proceeded to put curlers in my hair. There were moments when I had trouble keeping a straight face at the absurdity of all of this. What if my dad saw me (would this make 'em proud?). The process took about two hours and may have been the best two hours I'd ever spend on a style change. The results were seen immediately. This asinine concept of perming my hair turned into a blessing beyond belief. When I left I told the stylist that this idea started out as sort of a joke but that I was quite happy with the results. We shook hands. I think he was happy with his work. They call that a win-win situation (if you will).

I've received maybe one smirk from the girl that works at the health food store but pretty much everyone else has had nothing but great things to say about it. I think some women are especially jealous. I think the beauty of my perm is that it comes across as quite natural. This experience has made me feel more sexy and confident. I recommend this to any guy who is one the fence (about a perm).




No comments:

Post a Comment