Thursday, April 21, 2011

Dungeons and Dragons?

What's up with the D&D kids? A few come to the bar every now and again. It's something I can't put my finger on.

In gradeschool a D&D kid moved in next door. He had no friends. My parents felt compassion on him and encouraged me to play with him. Eventually I did.

One summer night he was swinging a wiffle bat as the sun was going down in the back alley. I saw the bat, wiffle ball always gets me going, so I went out and proceeded with some caution as I was kind of shy and about to meet a new kid.

I asked him, "what's going on?"

He replied, "..playin' fire fly baseball."

(How the fuck do you play firefly baseball????-I thought)

He handed me the bat and told me I had to swing at lighting bugs. There was no score keeping. WTF?

I killed about three of them, but felt like a complete ass doing so. This "sport" was fun to this child. I faked enthusiasm and tried to be supportive. I'm not sure if my older brother was in town then, but if he was I'm sure him and my dad had a good laugh together watching from the kitchen window.

I eventually said I had to go inside and got a bit angry at my parents for suggesting I play with such a weird kid.

Moving forward, if the kid survived high school and everything else, I'm sure he is probably putting together some awesome music.

Having said all this, there is weird similarity, I believe it's in the eyes, of those who partake in such role playing games. May Lord have mercy on those who judge and those who are judged. One love. Dainty bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment